I FLEW A PLANE!





Thursday September 2, 2010 around 5pm (MDT) the citizens of Spokane Washington, if they looked up in the eastern sky may have caught a glimpse of a white, four-seater, Cessna type plane flying overhead at an altitude of about 5,500 ft. The pilot, Tyler Schmidt, is the husband of Molly’s college roommate, Renae. Tyler attended Moody Aviation in Spokane after graduating from Grace University where both Molly and Renae attended college. Tyler now works for the Spokane Turbine Center and is preparing to be a missionary pilot. We were able to stay with Tyler and Renae and their adorable 13-month-old baby boy, Caleb, for a few days. It was really good to spark up another great friendship with people Molly has known and loved for years. Luckily for me the Schmidts are board-gaming people. We played many games as well as having the opportunity to pick a few fresh peaches at an orchard one morning.

Our whole time in Spokane was a blast, but the highlight was of course the plane ride. We had planned the flight and Tyler reserved the plane for Thursday afternoon. Tyler, Molly, and I climbed into the plane and put on our seatbelts. We slipped on our headsets and listened to Tyler speak in “Pilot language” to the tower. We approached the runway, watched the propeller spinning, and before I knew it we were in the air. After about ten minutes of our ascent, Tyler asked me if I was ready to “take over for a while”. With much hesitation I grabbed the steering device on my side of the plane and Tyler began coaching me. He showed me how to keep it level with the horizon. I didn’t learn any acrobatic maneuvers like barrel rolls or flips, but I sat white knuckled at the controls for about 15 minutes. When Tyler took over again I was relieved yet disappointed because it was fun yet a bit stressful. I pictured flying over remote villages and dropping down supplies or landing on a small grazing land near some cows. I thought about the Wings of Peace ministry in Bolivia and John Trosen. The experience really helped to broaden my outlook on all the different jobs in global missions. As you pray for Molly and me please also remember to lift up our friends Tyler and Renae Schmidt as they partner with Spokane Turbine Center and Proclaim Aviation to follow God’s call for their lives.



Blessings,Bryan & Molly Canny(Missionaries to Bolivia)

Comments

  1. That is an awesome picture of you flying Bryan! You did a great job keeping us safe while in the air. Who knows, you may be the next Bolivian missionary pilot. Keep in touch

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ON THE "FLIP" SIDE

Roadblocks (physical & spiritual)

DONUT CHEESEBURGER?!?!?